|The first Android-powered phone for Verizon Wireless, the 3G-enabled Motorola DROID smartphone offers a full package of powerful mobile connectivity--from easy access to all your social networks and viewing of full Web sites, to spoken turn-by-turn directions thanks to the new Google Maps with Navigation Beta app. One of the thinnest full-QWERTY slider phones available, the Motorola DROID also features a high-resolution 3.7-inch touchscreen display and a virtual onscreen keyboard that auto-rotates depending on the phone's orientation. You'll also be able to capture high-resolution images and DVD-quality videos on the go with its 5-megapixel camera with flash. |
With integrated Google technology, the Motorola DROID brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by Voice, YouTube, and Picasa. The DROID also provides easy access to both personal and corporate email, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail.
The Motorola DROID offers the powerful Android 2.0 operating system, fast and reliable Verizon Wireless 3G connectivity, and a wealth of Google Mobile services--including the new Google Maps with Navigation app.
In addition to 3G connectivity, the DROID offers Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home networks, business networks, and Wi-Fi hotspots while on the go, and Bluetooth connectivity for both hands-free devices and stereo music streaming. Other features include memory expansion via microSD memory cards (a 16 GB card is included with the device), threaded text and picture messaging for seamless on the go conversations, Visual Voicemail capabilities, 3.5mm headset jack, and up to 6.4 hours of talk time.
Here are just a few of the things that the Motorola DROID can do for you:
The Motorola DROID comes pre-loaded with a variety of Google and Verizon Wireless mobile services, including:
- Zip through the Web: Access the Internet at 3G speeds via the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network, or from any Wi-Fi hotspot. The multi-window HTML browser with a massive processor delivers the Web the way you expect.
- See it all in cinema-style: View the Web, email, Google Maps, videos, and more on a brilliant 3.7-inch high-resolution screen. Boasting a width of 854 pixels to reduce the need for side-to-side panning, and more than 400,000 pixels total, DROID has more than twice that of the leading competitor.
- Run multiple applications at once: Customize your DROID with thousands of applications and hundreds of widgets available at Android Market. Toggle back and forth between up to six applications at once to juggle the universe and your apps.
- Perform Google Search at the speed of sound: Simply tell DROID what you're looking for using voice-activated search, and it will serve up Google search results based on your location. If you want more, just type what you're looking for into the search bar on the home screen and DROID will also search content on your phone, such as apps and contacts, and the Web.
- Capture moments: Snap digital camera-quality photos with a 5-megapixel camera loaded with the works, including a dual-LED flash, auto-focus, and image stabilization, or capture your friend's antics in 16 million colors with DVD-quality video capture and playback. Store it all on the included 16 GB memory card, so you always have it on hand.
- Multi-task like a master: Keep tabs on all your messages with integrated Gmail and Exchange email pushed directly to you, but don't let them get in your way. With the handy Android notification panel, go straight to the message or simply ignore it, and get back to the task at hand. And, a smart dictionary learns as you type and automatically includes your contacts.
Other features include a 3.7-inch touchscreen, slide-out full QWERTY keyboard, real HTML web browsing, Bluetooth stereo music streaming, microSD memory expansion (with included 16 GB card), and access to both personal and corporate email (see larger image).
See a schematic of all the controls.
- Get where you need to go with Google Maps Navigation (Beta): DROID is the first device with Google Maps Navigation, providing turn-by-turn voice guidance as a free feature of Google Maps. It's powered by Google and connected to the Internet. Use voice shortcuts and simply say "Navigate to [your destination]," and you'll be on your way. See live traffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, and get access to the most recent maps and business information from Google Maps without ever needing to update your device.
- Google Maps: With layers in Google Maps, view geographic information, such as My Maps, Wikipedia, and transit lines, right on the map.
- Gmail: Multiple accounts support and undo for common operations.
- YouTube: One-touch recording and playback from home screen widget or app, one-touch sharing with friends, and the ability to view your own uploaded videos and high-resolution videos.
- Google Talk: Easily switch between chats, search your chat history, and preview pictures and videos sent by links.
- Android Market: Browse and download applications created by third-party developers.
- Calendar: Ability to see who has R.S.V.P.'d to your meeting invitations.
- Amazon MP3 Store: Download the latest tracks over the air.
- Verizon Wireless Visual Voice Mail: Delete, reply, and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions.
Key Features and Specifications
- Fast 3G connectivity thanks to the reliable Verizon Wireless EV–DO, Rev A network
- Powered by the Android 2.0 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market. Built-in GPS with turn-by-turn directions provided by Google Maps, and voice prompts using the Google Maps Navigation (BETA) app.
- 3.7-inch touchscreen with 480 x 854-pixel resolution and 16 million color depth
- Full slide-out QWERTY keyboard with familiar layout lets you type messages easily without scrolling for the letter you want.
- 5-megapixel autofocus camera also includes multiple scene modes, white balance settings, image quality choices, macro setting, multiple color effects, and geotagging capabilities.
- DVD-quality video capture at 720 x 480-pixel resolution and up to 24 fps capture; up to 30 fps playback
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home networks, business networks, and Wi-Fi hotspots while on the go.
- Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile--enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB (16 GB card included).
- Multi-format digital audio player with dedicated Amazon MP3 Store app for over-the-air downloads. Includes compatibility with MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, and WMA formats, and the capability to create and manage playlists on the phone.
- YouTube app for streaming video over 3G and Wi-Fi connections.
- Real HTML Web browsing provides more pages and better Web content delivered efficiently to your phone (Android Webkit HTML5-based browser).
- Standard voice mail and compatibility with Verizon Visual Voice Mail (subscription required), which enables you to delete, reply, and forward voice mail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voice instructions. Features include on-screen access to voice mail message status, the ability to save up to 40 messages for 40 days (or archive permanently), create up to 10 different caller ID-based greetings, and reply via call back, text, or even voice mail.
- Email: Corporate (Exchange 2003 and 2007), Gmail, IMAP, POP3, Attachment and browser document viewer (Microsoft Office and pdf)
- USB 2.0 connectivity
- 3.5mm Headset Jack
- Bilingual Interface: English/Español
- Cortex A8 processor with dedicated HW Acceleration
- Memory: ROM: 512MB; RAM: 256MB
- TTY compatible
- Hearing Aid Compatibility = M3/T3
The Motorola DROID weighs 5.96 ounces and measures 4.56 x 2.36 x 0.54 inches. Its 1400 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 6.4 hours of talk time, and up to 270 hours (11.25 days) of standby time. It runs on the CDMA 800/1900 frequencies as well as EV–DO, Rev A 3G frequencies.
What's in the Box
Motorola DROID handset, rechargeable battery, wall/USB charger, 16 GB microSD card, quick start guide, user manual